Ravings of a Classical Scientist

This blog is the result of a rational minded person looking at many aspects of the world around us. Warning: This blog is not for everyone, ignorance is bliss, so don't get angry at me for ruining it.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm an atheist humanist who strides to enlighten people if they have a desire to learn truths. As a professional physicist I can only be reasonable and logical because I dislike being wrong.

Friday, July 13, 2007

What the bleep are people thinking!?!

For a CFI event I watched What the bleep do we know in order to give smart non-scientists tools to debate the pseudoscience of this type. But I had no idea a "movie" could be that painful.It wasn't so much that the acting was poor and the dialog unnatural, but the intermix of "experts" and story was cinematic garbage and very irritating. It was very hard to watch. I get get some pointers about how to make nonsense sound reasonable (which I use when I take a more outragous position than the person I'm debating with, like they say there is a god and so I claim there are 3.1415 gods :-)

The movie debunks itself and to make it more authentic it should have cation when people where talking advertising their book since the whole thing was really an 1:45 minute infomercial about pseudoscience books (except for David Albert who is a really intelligent guy and who's book Quantum Mechanics and Experience is really a very good science read). If these people could really change reality why would they still be crackpots on an infomercial? Why wouldn't they just prove what they can do and walk on water or crack 128-bit encryption. The funniest disprove of the whole thing was if someone could will things, by shear belief, to happen wouldn't
Iraq be a stable democracy (maybe th quantum effects get washed away by a nearby crucifix).

While the whole things is a shell of truth over a hard core of lies plenty of people buy it. I guess the appropriate saying is: "A fool and his money are soon parted."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home