Ravings of a Classical Scientist

This blog is the result of a rational minded person looking at many aspects of the world around us. Warning: This blog is not for everyone, ignorance is bliss, so don't get angry at me for ruining it.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm an atheist humanist who strides to enlighten people if they have a desire to learn truths. As a professional physicist I can only be reasonable and logical because I dislike being wrong.

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Being a dad and life changes

I am incredibly excited about being a dad and I can't wait to meet my little one (I often bug Bonnie about why it's taking so long). Oddly (or I think it is odd), I'm not at all nervous about it. Maybe it's because I grew up in a close family and I was the oldest so I know about what to expect. I think my primary concerns lay with after graduation. Looking for a post doc isn't like looking for a job, it's like looking for a long lost relative. The space of possibilities isn't very big but it is dizzyingly complex since it depends on area of work, geography and grant situation of your prospective employer. So it may be that I'm just too concentrated on uprooting my Toronto life and moving to another place for a two year post doc that has over shadowed my baby worries. With the baby I know what to expect, but with starting a (temporary) life somewhere else I don't. Hopefully the Calgary conference in June will let me narrow down my choices and make things a little more predictable.

As for the responsibility I am also not worried since I did all the worrying for my dog. See I was reluctant to get a dog (despite loving doggies) because of the responsibility. I was doing my research at home and some days spent it reading and working in my underwear. A dog would need to be walked, played with etc and since Bonnie didn't work at home a lot of it would be on me. Finally we got Emily after I accepted I would take on this responsibility, and I took it seriously. She is now far beyond the perfect dog and is my buddy. To the point where I lobby city hall to allow dogs on outdoor patios so we can eat out with her in the summer. now a dog is not a child but it's not the work that was ever the issue it was the responsibility which was my initial reluctance when Bonnie brought it up. But now having accepted it I have only enthusiasm!
Stay tuned to fined out if it is a Merrisa or an Alexander!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Eddie said...

I need to get that book. I've been stuck on Dune (man that's a great book).

These are two names bonnie and I can agree on so that's a lot. Bonnie likes Alexander because of Zander (Buffy). We Both like Merissa and the farther from the Maria the better (we are biased away from biblical names). Also my cousin Melissa loves the name.

So end the suspense what are the top ten?

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home