Ravings of a Classical Scientist

This blog is the result of a rational minded person looking at many aspects of the world around us. Warning: This blog is not for everyone, ignorance is bliss, so don't get angry at me for ruining it.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm an atheist humanist who strides to enlighten people if they have a desire to learn truths. As a professional physicist I can only be reasonable and logical because I dislike being wrong.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Dark Matter and expectations

My head is still digesting the news that direct evidence for dark matter now exists! I guess it was because I just expected it to be a MOND effect or poor averaging effect. Well my expectations are now shattered and I must adjust to the new reality. Unfortunately (as Igor and I were discussing) this doesn't give us any extra data on what dark matter 'is' (or isn't). In some sense that' still fun since we can speculate all kinds of things that remain in the constraints we currently have. But in another way it is very frustrating to be so clueless. I love a mystery but I love solving it (or reading about the solution in this case) to.

On another note after spending time on fighting to have the Ontario public school system secularized (my American audience must be stunned at this) and hearing about 'just' wars, it is so great to hear that the interesting stuff is being attended to (yes I feel for these people suffering but another war will surely pop up and if we increase humans understanding in the mean time that will benefit all humanity).

So maybe I should put it like this: I expected another war but I didn't expect proof of dark matter's existence and so I was stunned. Wouldn't it be great o stunned by no war...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home