Ravings of a Classical Scientist

This blog is the result of a rational minded person looking at many aspects of the world around us. Warning: This blog is not for everyone, ignorance is bliss, so don't get angry at me for ruining it.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm an atheist humanist who strides to enlighten people if they have a desire to learn truths. As a professional physicist I can only be reasonable and logical because I dislike being wrong.

Friday, August 05, 2005

Biased Media

I think the idea of a biased media isn't addressing the actual issue. The media isn't biased because it's the media, it's biased because most journalists are educated. Educated people tend to be liberals. The fact that they are in the media is largely irrelevant. As one can see by looking at the Fox News, people who are conservative aren't well educated nor too bright. The situation as I see it is companies would want conservatively spun news but the people who watch the news tend to be educated (and they are the ones with more disposable income) so the news channels (except a few) just cater to their target audience.
Therefore I think that liberal biased media is a result of the separation of the educated news consumer and the ... uhhh ... "rest", not some conspiracy or elietest institution. This was best demonstrated when some anchor at Fox news said that Jon Stewart's audience was mostly high high school drop outs (not a double word typo ;) and a survey found they where more informed than the average Fox News viewer (lol... awww I can picture that now).
Which brings me to the larger issue the culture wars. I think the same distinction can be made about anything in the culture wars, they are the result of the gap in education of the people, nothing else. Perhaps they need to make a movie of Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion for the "rest."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home