Ravings of a Classical Scientist

This blog is the result of a rational minded person looking at many aspects of the world around us. Warning: This blog is not for everyone, ignorance is bliss, so don't get angry at me for ruining it.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm an atheist humanist who strides to enlighten people if they have a desire to learn truths. As a professional physicist I can only be reasonable and logical because I dislike being wrong.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Confederation and Martin's Fall

I think Martin has made a huge mistake with his deal for the Atlantic provinces. This is further exacerbating the provinces interrelationships (since the federal government is just all the provinces). Provincial leaders are now whining that they deserve a "fair" deal too, and the definition of fair is widely disputed. I can't blame them since it it their job to do their best for their province, but the federal government should have realized this is Pandora's box. I've said it before provincial politics is outdated and this incident will show why. A strong federation should share all of it's resources equally. Natural resources should be national not provincial this way everyone can gain. Instead each manages their own but we try and equalize the money! Canadians need to decide once and for all are they Canadians or provincial people. Right now we are heading for more provincial autonomy and that's bad. Instead of a strong nation we will be 10 moderately friendly trading partners.
Mark my words, Confederation is in trouble!

Maybe some good could come out of it. If only we had a charismatic intelligent person to pitch the idea of redrawing the balance of power for the modern era. This would be a lot of work but that's why it would be worth it. Redo the provinces to be amalgamations of rural Canadians and small cities and let metropolis govern themselves. Make the distribution of power based on reason not tradition. For instance make healthcare federal with a regional (elected!) senate. I could go on but since I don't have the charisma or tact to execute this I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home