Ravings of a Classical Scientist

This blog is the result of a rational minded person looking at many aspects of the world around us. Warning: This blog is not for everyone, ignorance is bliss, so don't get angry at me for ruining it.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm an atheist humanist who strides to enlighten people if they have a desire to learn truths. As a professional physicist I can only be reasonable and logical because I dislike being wrong.

Monday, October 04, 2004

Freedom vs Security

At the Toronto Zoo the ape's keeper said, in response to my criticism that the area they had was small, they are perfectly content with a space that size, and it was bigger than usually suggested for apes. Now I'm in no way saying I agree or disagree with captive animals, but there is an important question of freedom vs security. We have some idea of what an ape is feeling and so I will take the zoo keepers word at face value for the sake of this argument.

From what I know and what the zoo keeper told me it seems most special will do what is necessary to get the best chance of survival. In an evolutionary perspective they seem (mostly) willing to sacrifice freedom for security. Many animals now live in pack, colonies etc due to the increase chances of survival. So it seems to me to be a tendency for animals and therefore us to sacrifice freedom for security (or at least a false sense of). This seems to be the way things are going and have been going. If you scare the population they will give up some liberties to feel safer. This isn't a new idea, but what I'm suggesting is it is "built-in." We are the ancestors of humans who grouped together, the free independent ones where eaten. When we grouped we sacrificed some of our liberty to live in a group. As the groups get bigger the liberties shrink. So where will it end? Fascist world-wide regime (though some would say the U.S. is nearly there)? The breaking of large countries to small Libertarian groups with some loose ties to each other? They say history repeats itself, are we going to go back to city-states (form countries)? I'll get back to you on it :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home