Ravings of a Classical Scientist

This blog is the result of a rational minded person looking at many aspects of the world around us. Warning: This blog is not for everyone, ignorance is bliss, so don't get angry at me for ruining it.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm an atheist humanist who strides to enlighten people if they have a desire to learn truths. As a professional physicist I can only be reasonable and logical because I dislike being wrong.

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Diligent Fact-Checker

I have a crazy idea I want to play with. Fact-checking is inherently a bad endeavor for humans since we like to believe what we already "know." Also a good/thorough job take a long time. But somethings can be fact-checked less painfully (at least in theory), like official things with transcripts (he voted for, he served with, etc). So why not design an A.I. to fact-check these things. At least you could check when and what people have said on public record. Obviously it has limits since you can't ask a question that requires the interpretation of a bill (though in theory you could fact-check things like budget changes to the area in question etc). E.g. "Did Bush say he would toughen air pollution standards on power generation?" Answer: "Yes in a speech on [....]," I don't remember the date. Follow-up: "What has he done?" It can't go into depth, i.e. you'll still have to interpret some of the bill that he passed etc, but it can tell you if he's spent more, hired more people, commissioned anything etc. I think I'd be a useful tool for everyone and isn't far out of our capabilities. What do you say? (Ross you're the expert.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Display Name said...

i am placing a bid for the solution right now, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=153&item=3840166200&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home