Ravings of a Classical Scientist

This blog is the result of a rational minded person looking at many aspects of the world around us. Warning: This blog is not for everyone, ignorance is bliss, so don't get angry at me for ruining it.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm an atheist humanist who strides to enlighten people if they have a desire to learn truths. As a professional physicist I can only be reasonable and logical because I dislike being wrong.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Freewill and milestones

It's often fun to reminisce about milestones in one's life like when one left dogma, when one accepted facts over personal opinion and I think freewill is my most recent one. I haven't thought about freewill for a while (3+ years) with my last thoughts on the subject being "I don't know" since the question is really asking if the universe is deterministic or probabilistic fundamentally. Since there have been no conclusive experiments I could find no other alternative. In the last few years I've been reading eh Scientific American Mind magazine and learning bits and pieces about the current state of neurology and a crucial piece of information came my way. But before I reveal it I want to say why the Scientific American Mind magazine was important (it's kinda embarrassing).

While I always thought of chemistry and biology as "physics too large to compute" fields the mind/brain (if you think they are separate your on the wrong blog) was still a thing of mystery (not in the religious person's sense but in the Sherlock Homes sense as in I haven't thought about it enough or read enough). The magazine forced me to deal with my machinery in a very critical and scientific matter making clear this was a physical system (albeit a complicated one). See I think I still had some lingering Christianity buried in there and it is weird to describe. It wasn't a coherent set of beliefs but a kinda remnant feeling of the way things "are." Like a prefeeling that there was a "mind" in the brain but when I thought about it, poof it was gone! I would describe it as a place surrounded by scientific logical knowledge (from the magazine) about how the brain works that I simply hadn't accessed and updated. It's gone now, but I wonder what else is in there.

Anyways the important piece of information I needed to make my call on the freewill bit was whether mechanisms in the brain that did processing were small enough for quantum effects to be felt. The answer is a resounding no. All components of the brain are very large compared with quantum dimensions making quantum effects negligible, too small to allow for "internally random" thoughts (that's my definition of freewill). So reality does not seem to accommodate the idea of freewill so as the ether it must be abandoned until other evidence to the contrary is shown.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home