Ravings of a Classical Scientist

This blog is the result of a rational minded person looking at many aspects of the world around us. Warning: This blog is not for everyone, ignorance is bliss, so don't get angry at me for ruining it.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm an atheist humanist who strides to enlighten people if they have a desire to learn truths. As a professional physicist I can only be reasonable and logical because I dislike being wrong.

Friday, February 02, 2007

Review of my Creative ZEN M Vision

I decided to go with the creative Zen (60GB) rather than the video ipod and I don't regret it at all!! I chose it for two main reasons and I have been very happy with that choice.

The first reason was I saw both of the players side-by-side and compared the video screens. The Zen is much brighter with much more vibrant colors.

The second reason was much more technical: the ZEN is much more compatible with regular codecs! It would b really annoying to have to convert every movie and TV show into the right format (and very time consuming). The ZEN has the most popular codecs and so most files and can transfered with any conversion! If you want to save space you can convert any video into 320x240 (the res of the screen) to save space, but with 60GB this hasn't been a problem.

The software is also really good with some extras and a built in microhone. I thought that would be useless but I really like being able to quickly record something (someone's email, notes or reminders) at the touch of a button. That brings me to another likable feature, a programmable button. You can assign it as you like and easily change it. The ZEN also has great battery life and for $25 you can buy a usb to 120V plug and connect it anywhere. It also as a syn for cameras so you don't need to buy a bigger memory card, you just plug your ZEN to you camera (no computer) and download the pics. The photo cart has also been really neat since I now carry my entire digital photo collection in my pocket! No need for bulky albums and you can even make custom slide shows.

The ZENcasts (same as podcasts) are neat but I don't like the fact that the software doesn't directly let you chose to listen to the zencast's as mp3's only. When the podcasts (mp3 files on the HDD) are transfered to the player it encodes some graphics (mostly name of the show and some info like guests names and topics). This is a neat feature but I'd like to be able to turn it off (you can just let the sync program be aware of your podcast folder and it will transfer them as mp3's but that's a hassle).

The battery like is awesome and is actually up to specs, another reason I went with the ZEN despite it's size. It may be a little bigger than the ipod but it is already so small it makes no difference to me. The main qualm is the difficulty in finding accessories. I'd like to get a rubber or plastic cover but can't find any (by passively looking).

I bought it for two main uses: I wanted to listen to podcasts while walking the dog and to occupy me when I am someplace I can't read but am board (shopping for clothing with the misses, after a long day on the bus/subway or waiting for bureaucrats). I have found it useful for even more things and would defiantly recommend it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home