Ravings of a Classical Scientist

This blog is the result of a rational minded person looking at many aspects of the world around us. Warning: This blog is not for everyone, ignorance is bliss, so don't get angry at me for ruining it.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm an atheist humanist who strides to enlighten people if they have a desire to learn truths. As a professional physicist I can only be reasonable and logical because I dislike being wrong.

Monday, August 22, 2005

Militant leftwing articles and reason

When I read some of the "left" articles it strikes me that some of them need to think out their ideas more. A good example is "Buy nothing Day." I think it can be a good idea but not for the same reason. I don't think there is anything wrong with profit, but I do think there are types of consumerism that are harmful. For instance I see nothing wrong with a consumer of services. Paying someone to do your laundry, house work, errands and cutting your hair seems completely benign (too me). I do think that chronic buying something can be harmful to people's idea of happiness, but that's their problem, not mine. What I think "Buy nothing Day" could be morphed into something like "understanding what you are buying day," where people may only buy non-harmful products. The problem ,as I see it, is ignorant purchasing. For instance buying Nikes when you are against forced child labor, or worrying about the environment and buying gadgets not knowing they generate many times more waste than the material in the final product. The idea (I guess) comes from the 3-R's, Reduce, Reuse and recycle and it is definitely true that the first two have been mostly ignored compared with the third. But the point is that writers need to propose solutions or at least vague vision for their articles. They should not just say,"this must go" as if there is one topping on an otherwise perfect pizza and if you throw it away all will be well.

For instance they should not say that corporations are the problem, that's a broad generalization and an oversimplification. They should be talking about restructuring corporations so they are more benign to more people. It's not that all articles have this problem, but a lot do. For instance articles on either end of the spectrum often say things about unions. Unions where a good start, but it's not a final solution since you end up with a bipolar corporation. If the employees had a more direct stake in the company (like being a shareholder, with the total of the employees owning a non-negligible chunk) the corporation will continue to provide jobs for it's employees and make money for others. If the employees have a stake, they won't poison their land (since they most likely live closely). All win. Saying that corporations are the problem is just silly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home