Ravings of a Classical Scientist

This blog is the result of a rational minded person looking at many aspects of the world around us. Warning: This blog is not for everyone, ignorance is bliss, so don't get angry at me for ruining it.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm an atheist humanist who strides to enlighten people if they have a desire to learn truths. As a professional physicist I can only be reasonable and logical because I dislike being wrong.

Friday, July 25, 2008

Meditation and "inner peace"

I think I've finally understood what people mean when they talk about gaining inner peace or being in a meditative state. Unfortunately it really doesn't seem to be more than having most of your processing being done in the right hemisphere. The left hemisphere is all about the now and it is where one has a very well defined definition of where 'you' end. The right hemisphere is the non-singular input of all your senses, hence it is the 'one-with-the-universe' feeling. This is probably because you are not processing the information relative to your self identity (likes, dislikes etc).

I don't know for sure that I have ever been in the state they describe but I've never found it hard to be in the 'sensory-state' were you are just right-brain processing (or it feels like that). It's usually what I do to fall asleep. Well I'm sure "serious" mediators will say I haven't and without an fMRI I can't disagree. but if I am right it is a nice feeling but it definitely isn't what I would call bliss. It's a fun state, but I wouldn't want to live there. If you spend your whole life there (say you could do it) then you'd never live. It's literally like being in a vegetative state. Well if that's people's idea of a life goal it ain't for me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home