Ravings of a Classical Scientist

This blog is the result of a rational minded person looking at many aspects of the world around us. Warning: This blog is not for everyone, ignorance is bliss, so don't get angry at me for ruining it.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm an atheist humanist who strides to enlighten people if they have a desire to learn truths. As a professional physicist I can only be reasonable and logical because I dislike being wrong.

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Male contraception and religion

After reading what feels like the millionth report on population control for my TA I started to wonder about the effects of a male contraceptive pill. A secret reason contraception isn't wanted in Roman Catholics (and some Protestants) or Muslims is because it gives the women power. But if the male could take the pill would these religions stop the males? In both of them the male reins supreme (over one or many wives) and the only thing a man can't do is masturbate and go outside of wedlock (although if your Muslim you can have multiple wives). So although the male contraceptive would permit the latter would the churches take the same route and more importantly would it work?
I surmise that officially they would have the same view (touted as a gender equality thing too) for the men, but my guess is this would drive many men away from the religions and create bigger splinter groups (especially of Muslims).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home